Sunday, August 5, 2007

Introduction

I've put off making a blog for a long time, mainly because I didn't have anything I wanted to talk about. Now that I'm embarking on a voyage of discovery on the shores of software development, maybe I can find something interesting to talk about. At the very least I can use the blog as a development log of sorts for my own use. But first, a little about me.

Software development isn't new to me, I've been a professional code monkey for 12 years now. My paying gigs have mainly mainly been in C++Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X programming with a few ventures into Java based web development. In my private time I have played with Perl, Python, and Ruby. I've dabbled in other areas of the industry including technical support, product management, and plain management. I even got an MBA before I learned that management really isn't for me because my passion is programming.

My voyage began recently with a rekindling of my love for development. First I taught a class on software specifications at the local university and then I decided to go get a Masters in Computer Science. These events in turn have ignited an interest in dynamic, functional, and concurrent programming languages; mainly in the forms of Ruby, Erlang, and Smalltalk. More on these in more focused posts later.

My intention is to post at least once a week to capture what I have learned or thought about. I have some catching up to do since I started over a month ago, so there will be a flurry of initial posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment